Fellowship / research funding
UGC-CSIR Junior Research Fellowships: Only those candidates will be eligible for the award of fellowships who qualify in the national level test conducted by the University Grants Commission/CSIR andother similar test for award of Junior Research Fellowship as per the norms of the relevant organization.
UGC-Scholarships and Fellowships:The University Grants Commission invites applications for the award of various Scholarships and Fellowships every year for the candidates pursuing higher studies in Universities./Colleges. The details of the schemes are available at UGC website www.ugc.ac.in.
State Government Fellowships:Some of the States of the Indian Union have instituted at the School of International Studies one or two fellowships for scholars coming from their respective States. Some State Governments have also provided contingency grants.
The general terms and conditions governing the award of these Governments fellowships are given below:
1. The fellow must devote his whole time to approved courses of research and study at the University.
2. He shall not accept or hold any appointment paid or otherwise or receive any emolument, salary, stipend, etc. from any other source during the tenure of the award. Junior Research Fellows with the consent of the Guide/Head of the Department may assist the University/Institution in its teaching programmes, if called upon to do so, including tutorials, evaluation of test papers, laboratory demonstration work, seminar, symposia, etc. provided that such work undertaken by him/her is not likely to hamper his own research programme on hand.
3. He shall obtain prior permission of the University for appearing at any examination conducted by any other University or public body.
4. The fellowship shall be terminated at any time if the progress and conduct of the fellow is found to be unsatisfactory.
5. The fellowship shall ordinarily be tenable for a period of one year in the first instance but may be renewed for the second, third and fourth years if the student continues to maintain satisfactory progress. However, a research fellow who has displayed research ability but not completed his work may be considered for extension of fellowship for a further period of one year at the end of four years period.
Merit-cum-Means Scholarships: A number of Merit-cum-Means scholarships are available for deserving and meritorious students whose parent's/guardian's income does not exceed Rs. 2,50,000/- per annum or as may be laid down from time to time. The payment of scholarships will be governed by the rules in force in the University from time to time. Click for form.
Ford Foundation Scholarships: A limited number of Ford Foundation Scholarships of the value of Rs. 700/- per month are available for students of the M.A. Programme of the School of International Studies. The Scholarships will be awarded purely on merit subject to the proviso that at least half of them will go to female students.
In addition, the following Endowments (Scholarships)/ Fellowships/ Awards are also available to students pursuing studies in the University
1.Okita Memorial Fellowship - There are two Fellowships each of the value of Rs.5000/- p.m. with an annual contingency grant of Rs.10,000/- awarded by the ICCR on the recommendation of the University for 2 years. This is open to meritorious Indian students in JNU who are registered for M.Phil/Ph.D. and MA 2nd year programme in various Centres of SIS/SLL&CS/SSS pursuing studies/research in any of the areas of specialization bearing on Japan or on India's Relations with Japan.
2.G Parthasarathi Endowment Fellowship - There are four Fellowships including the one in Memory of Late Chandrasekhar Prasad the student leader in JNU of Rs.1000/-p.m., each awarded to students initially for a period of one year, renewable by another year on the basis of academic performance, to students coming from economically weaker sections of society, particularly Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe/Backward Class, and Physically Challenged (Handicapped) students.
3.Australian High Commission Fellowship - There is Scholarship of Rs. 3500/- per month plus annual contingency grant of Rs.6000/-. The Fellowship is awarded to a Ph.D. student for a period of two years working on a subject concerning Australian Study in the Centre of CSCSEA&WPS/SIS.
4.Special Fellowships for SC/ST and PH students - Four Fellowships are awarded @ Rs.12000/- p.m.(for one semester or two semesters) for students hailing from deprived sections of society i.e. Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe and Physically Challenged (Handicapped) with a view to preparing them for taking up teaching and/or research as career. These fellowships are to be used for most deserving among them who have completed two years of Ph.D. or after having completed M.Phil. are on the verge of completion of Ph.D.
5.Dr. Sheila Zurbrigg Fellowship - This one time assistance of a maximum of Rs. 2000/- is awarded to one deserving student of the Centre of Social Medicine and Community Health, School of Social Sciences.
6. Tendulkar Scholarship - This Scholarship of Rs.400/- p.m. is awarded for a period of two years to 2 students of various Centres of School of Social Sciences by rotation.
7.Prof. Nurul Hasan Scholarship - Two Scholarships of Rs.1500/- p.m. each are awarded for a period of one year to students of second year M.A./M.Sc./MCA students with the highest CGPA at the end of the first year, one of which shall be for Social Science subjects and the other for Science subjects, for promotion of education and other Ideals and values for which Prof. Hasan worked during his lifetime.
8. Jawahar Bhawan Trust Scholarship - These Scholarships are of the value of Rs.1000/-p.m. awarded to 10 students for a period of one year (covering two semesters) and may be renewed for subsequent semester(s) subject to the condition that the student maintains CGPA of 5.5 at the end of third semester of MA/M.Sc. and fifth semester in case of MCA.
9.Prof. M J K Thavaraj MCM Scholarship - There are 2 Scholarships of worth Rs.300/- each p.m. and Rs.2000/- as contingency are awarded on merit to M.A. (Economics) first year students of School of Social Sciences.
10.Nippon Foundation (Japan) - Two Fellowships are awarded every year out of the endowment of US$ 1 million given by Nippon Foundation. The fellowship holders will enjoy this prestigious Fellowship for a period of 3 years at the rate of Rs.15000/- per month. At a given point of time from third year onwards, six students of M.Phil./Ph.D. programme will be awarded the Fellowship.
11.Korea Foundation(Korea) - Two Fellowships of Rs.10000/- per month plus Rs.20,000/- contingency for the first two years and senior Fellowship of Rs.12,000/- per month and contingency of Rs.20,000/- per annum for the subsequent two years are awarded to the M.Phil./Ph.D. students.Two Fellowship of Rs.2000/- per month each for a period of two years to M.A. students and two Scholarships of Rs.1000/- per month each for a period of two years are awarded to Undergraduate Students.
12.Com. H L Parwana Research Stipend - Com. H L Parwana Research stipend of Rs.5000/- per month is awarded to M.Phil. student of School of International Studies or School of Social Sciences working in the areas of Banking, Trade Union and Allied Areas.
13.Fox International Fellowship of Yale University - Annually awarded to one or two students of M.Phil./Ph.D. programme in any of the following fields: economics, finance, political science, international relations, law and contemporary history. They should therefore have completed 3 semesters of M.Phil./Ph.D./Direct Ph.D. programme but should not have completed more than 6 semesters of the said programme.
14.Swamy Pranavananda Memorial Research Fellowship - Awarded annually to a M.Phil. student pursuing studies for promotion in the Indian Philosophy, Culture and Civilization.
15.D S Gardi Sanskrit Scholarships - Annually awarded to two M.A. students of Sanskrit Studies for a period of two years. These scholarships are awarded on the basis of performance of the students in the first semester.
16. Dr. Prafulla K. Pani Research Fellowship - This short-term fellowship of Rs. 8000/- p.m. will be awarded to only one student for pursuing research at Special Centre for Molecular Medicine in the relevant areas of molecular medicine.
17. Posco Fellowship - Awarded cash prize in Indian Rupees equivalent to US$500/- (approximately) to 10 under graduate meritorius students every year in Korean language programme of the CJKNEAS/SLLCS on the basis of selection at Centre/School level.
18. Prof. Gouri Shankar Singhal Merit Scholarship - One scholarship to M.Sc. (SLS) 2nd year student value of Rs.1000/- per month for one year who obtained highest CGPA at the end of third semester to be selected at school level on the basis firstly of merit and secondly of need.
Each fellowship and award will be operated as per the terms & conditions attached to it from time to time.
1.The President of India Gold Medal - This Gold Medal and Certificate is awarded annually to one student adjudged best for excellence in academic performance literary activities, music, participation in hostel life, sports, good character and conduct.
2. Dr. Arpita Mishra Award - Annual certificate of Merit cum cash award of Rs.5000/- is awarded to the best M.Phil. (Linguistics) student on completion of his/her course work every year.
3. Rafael Iruzubieta Award - Cash awards are awarded annually to the best 2 MA students of Spanish Studies, SLL&CS. The cash prize for the awardees will be determined on the availability of funds/interest accruing the endowment.
4. A N Bhat Memorial Prize - Cash prize of Rs.5000/- is awarded annually to the most meritorious student of third semester of MA (Economics) programme of School of Social Sciences based on his/her performance in the 1st year of MA Programme.
5. Vimla Saran Gold Medal - A Gold Medal is awarded annually to one student of MA (Chinese) in SLL&CS.
6. Sajjad Zaheer and Razia Zaheer Award - Award money plus certificate are awarded every year for one male and one female MA Urdu literature student with the best performance in MA first year. The interest amount for a particular year will be equally divided into two parts one for male and other for female student.
7. Juhi Prasad Award - Cash prize of Rs.2000/- is awarded annually to the best girl student of B.A. in Spanish in the the Centre of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian & Latin American Studies, of School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies.
8. Devendra Kumar Gupta Award - Gold Medal plus Certificate is awarded annually to one B.A. student of the Centre of French and Francophone Studies of School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies.
9. School of Physical Sciences Gold Medal - This Gold Medal is awarded selectively for outstanding performance in the M.Sc.(Physics).
10. Ranjan Roy Memorial Prize - The Centre for Economic Studies and Planning awards the Ranjan Roy Memorial Prize (worth Rs. 4000/-) to the best student completing the M.A. (Economics) programme from the Centre.
11. Prof. T K Oommen Cash Award - Awarded annually to a topper student of M.A. Sociology who qualify the said programme.
12. Prof. K J Mahale Cash Award - Awarded annually to a topper student of M.Phil. (French).
13. Award of Prof. S Marcandane Memorial Gold Medal - A Gold medal and a certificate is awarded annually to topper student of M.A. (French) programme.
14. Ms. Kanu Priya Bharadwaj Memorial Award: - A Gold Medal and a certificate is awarded annually to the best M.A. student of the School of Arts & Aesthetics.
15. Pande Medal: - A Gold Medal and a Certificate of Merit, instituted by Prof H.C Pande (retired), are awarded annually to the Best Student of B.A (Hons) of the Centre of Russian Studies of SLL&CS.
16. Smt Jaswant Kaur Khurana merit Award: - An award of Rs.15000/- lumsum and a Gold medal is awarded every year to the student of Life Scieces obtaining highest rank at the conclusion of the M.Sc. and M.Phil./ Ph.D. programme on the bais of selection at School level.
Each fellowship and award will be operated as per the terms & conditions attached to it from time to time.
Applications for the above Fellowships/Scholarships/Awards are invited from registered and eligible students every year through Chairpersons of Centres/Deans of Schools and are awarded on the recommendations of the Committees constituted for the purpose. Details can be had from Room No.020 (Ground Floor) Scholarship/Fellowship Section, Administration Block, J.N.U., New Delhi _ 110067. There is also a provision for students coming from weaker sections of society under the "Earn as you Learn" scheme.