Assistant professor / lecturer
Vacancy number 220102
You have excellent teaching skills. You are expected to contribute to the courses in the BSc and MSc programmes offered by the Department. You participate in the teaching of both graduate and undergraduate courses, in particular in the fields of Econometrics and Statistics. Moreover, you are involved in the supervision of bachelor and master theses.
You also have the ability to conduct original research and to publish in high-ranked international journals. You have a track record of high-quality internationally recognized academic research in the field of Econometrics. The scope of your research can be broad and may include topics such as high-dimensional statistics, time series analysis, panel data models, weak instruments, etcetera.
Research time is allocated according to standardized faculty procedures, which guarantee 50 per cent of time for research during the tenure track period.
We encourage you to apply if you meet the next qualifications:
• a PhD in Econometrics
• experience in the above mentioned research field of (Financial) Econometrics
• excellent writing skills
• a strong interest in publishing in top tier econometrics, finance and economics journals
• a promising and relevant research record
• the potential to generate external funding for research projects
• teaching experience, preferably in Econometrics
• proven interest and/or ability in developing courses and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level, and in mentoring students
• a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) or the willingness to obtain this qualification; and
• a social, positive and dedicated attitude.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,637 to a maximum of € 4,978 gross per month (salary scale 11)
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus
- participation in a pension scheme for employees; favourable tax treatment may apply to non-Dutch applicants
- 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full-time position
- a position for the period of seven* years (*Our tenure track positions are temporary positions subject to a tenure decision. In the third year of the appointment, an intermediate evaluation will take place. On the basis of a positive final evaluation in the sixth year of employment, the candidate will be granted tenure. The tenure track system is a career path that, when completed successfully, leads to a full professorship)
The University of Groningen (UG), founded in 1614, has a strong focus on research. We are in the top 100 of several influential university ranking lists. The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) is one of the largest faculties with approximately 7,000 students. It has an international reputation and is AACSB and EQUIS accredited. We are passionate about research and offer research driven education within four Bachelor programmes, fifteen Master programmes, and three Executive Master programmes. Many of these programmes belong to the top 3 in the Netherlands. Please visit our FEB website (http://www.rug.nl/feb) for more information about the Faculty, its teaching programmes and its research.
The Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance is an active and international research community, performing at the highest international level in terms of research and publications. Central research themes are among other things (applied and theoretical) econometrics, finance, banking, insurance, health, ageing and pensions, macroeconomics, behavioural and experimental economics, and industrial organisation.
The Faculty is responsible for courses in several bachelor, master and PhD programmes in Economics, Business Economics, Finance, and Econometrics.
We are seeking a highly motivated full-time Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Econometrics.
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
1. a motivation letter
2. a complete curriculum vitae
3. at least two letters of recommendation (to be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. one self-selected “best paper”
5. teaching evaluations.
You can submit your application until 16 April 11:59pm / before 17 April 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form, please see: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/job-opportunities/?reply=00347-02S0007NHP
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Prof. Niels Hermes, email@example.com
Prof. Rob Alessie, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.