Executive / senior industry position
Around the world, our employees are united by our mission to save and sustain lives. Together, we create a culture that encourages colleagues to pursue rewarding careers -- where everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work as a part of a team they respect, in an environment that values each person’s contributions. We’re happy you’re interested in continuing your career journey with Baxter.
The Senior Internal Controls Analyst plays a key role in supporting the Internal Control Function with managing the EMEA internal control framework, with primary focus on European Shared Service Center , Center Of Expertise
assessing opportunities to deploy more efficient and effective internal controls through improved control design, automation or standardization.
Additionally, this person is expected to develop and maintain effective working relationships with individuals in other functions and/or business units responsible for the monitoring of internal controls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain an effective and comprehensive understanding of risks and controls in consideration of Baxter’s strategic initiatives.
- Serve as point of contact on internal control matters for EMEA, with primary focus on Shared Service Center and Center of Expertise.
- Support process owners in the development and deployment of action plans to close control gaps.
- Remain current on relevant internal control information from regulators. Be a resource to train others on relevance to the Company and lead efforts in “operationalizing” controls.
- Direct the SOX 404 internal control assessment and provide guidance on critical Baxter-wide initiatives related to risk and internal controls.
- Responsible for driving Baxter’s SOX process for assessing internal control over financial reporting (including assuring clear accountability and ownership, routine monitoring and management reporting)
- Perform annual scoping and risk assessment and monitor balance sheet and income statement items that may fall into scope over the course of the fiscal year.
- Manage, plan and communicate timing of all SOX process and Information Technology (“IT”) testing with departments, process owners and external audit.
- Be proactive and alert to potential risk of control breaks. Identify root cause and provide guidance on appropriate resolution, and communication of learning.
- Maintain close relationship with Internal Audit, review Internal Audit Reports and be proactive in gauging the impact of issues raised on the SOX internal control assessment
- Continue to refine effectiveness of the company’s SOX assessment and maintain alignment with key leadership and operational changes, including acquisitions.
Adhoc Internal Controls Support:
- General – Serve as subject matter expert on projects requiring internal controls expertise.
- M&A - Work with Baxter’s M&A and integration teams to identify and assess the effectiveness of the current state control environment as part of the pre-acquisition diligence phase, and then, partnering with the process owners, develop control gap closure actions, and with the requisite process owners, deploy the actions post-acquisition. The team would also be responsible for ensuring the adoption and application of the global self-assessment frameworks.
- IT Implementation - Work with teams responsible for implementing new IT applications (i.e. ERP systems) to support and advice on internal control design of said technology.
- Fraud/Compliance - Work with Ethics and Compliance, Internal Audit and Business/Process Owners to manage the compliance, fraud prevention or detection efforts, and/or investigations that impact internal controls.
- More than 4 years of experience; public accounting or related large public company experience required – Big 4 experience a plus.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of processes, risks, financial/operational internal controls and internal controls principles (e.g., COSO, ISO) is required.
- Proficiency in identifying and assessing internal control design and operating effectiveness is required.
- Robust project management skill and experience working with multi-project management is required.
- Practical knowledge of ERP systems and PC proficiency in MSOffice applications is required.
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Process improvements focused and thorough understanding of financial controls.
- Ability to communicate succinctly and effectively with operating and divisional management
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong, flexible team attitude, proactive management style as well as keen business acumen. Demonstrated ability to develop strategic partnerships and work with others to accomplish objectives and results.
- Self-starter and able to independently lead projects cross-functionally.
- Current knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (e.g. USGAAP, IFRS), is a plus.
- Ability to speak one or more of the following languages is a plus: French, Italian, Spanish, and German.
- Working knowledge of information systems such as JD Edwards, SAP, Pega;
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an e-mail to Americas_TTA@baxter.com and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.