Executive / senior industry position
AstraZeneca Fraud Notice
Please note - In recent weeks there has been an increase in suspicious email activity from people masquerading as recruiters for AstraZeneca. These have been using very realistic looking material, imitating AstraZeneca people, involving fake offers of employment and asking for the exchange of money and credit card details.
AstraZeneca will never ask for money at any point in our recruitment process. If you are approached in this way, please ignore it. For further help and support please refer to the following:
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As Executive Director, Value Strategy & Evidence , you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. North American Commercial is the 'face' of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
The Executive Director, U.S. Value Strategy & Evidence (VSE) will be the leadership position within U.S. Market Access who is broadly accountable to the U.S. business for delivering industry-leading innovation for evidence-based, value-driven contracting and pricing models across the AZ portfolio of medicines. This leader will be a respected subject matter expert in VSE who is responsible for the comprehensive strategy and management of a team of professionals with a wide variety of scientific and business expertise dedicated to synthesizing and applying scientific evidence toward the development, and successful implementation, of frameworks related to all forms of innovative value strategies for key payers across both the Oncology and Biopharmaceuticals business units. In this role, the Executive Director will work closely with cross-functional senior leadership and executive peer stakeholders internally and externally to ensure that business planning processes, resources, and staff are working seamlessly to drive best-in-class innovation for value-based pricing and reimbursement which not only keeps pace with rapidly evolving payer expectations and market trends, but which also shapes the payer landscape and sets the bar for others to follow. More specifically, this senior level role will be responsible for the following:
- Payer Value Strategy & Innovation Leadership: Builds, leverages, and advances team expertise across medical (HEOR/RWE Analytics) and business (Contracting/Pricing/Access Strategy) areas to enable novel solutions and to explore new, practical ways for the U.S. business to successfully navigate near- and long-term future demands for value-based reimbursement. Sets clear expectations for VSE team regarding optimal framework components, implementation processes, and internal reporting mechanisms
- VSE Operational Management: Identifies needs globally for streamlining payer evidence and RWD planning/review processes across therapeutic areas (TAs), and where appropriate, works with other senior leaders to challenge the norm and champion new approaches ensuring teams are fit to respond to dynamic payer value needs with speed and agility. Creates new, efficient standards and procedures, where necessary, that optimize Core Value Team (CVT) output, facilitate local evidence needs, and which balance local autonomy for VSE development and implementation with requisite alignment to Brand, Medical, Global, and Account team strategies. Aligns strongly with Global VSE colleagues to cross-pollinate VSE models and best practices.
- Market Shaping & Executive Engagement: Creates partnerships and works alongside senior leaders internally and externally to not only monitor and track payer landscape trends and industry benchmarks, but to actively and effectively shape those market trends/payer needs utilizing AZ’s cross-portfolio evidence base in alignment with AZ market access strategy
- Long-term Business Planning: Sets the long-term vision for VSE across the U.S. business and establishes a strong set of guiding principles and direction for evidence-based innovative contracting and pricing. Ensures VSE teams are appropriately positioned internally to maximize collaborative opportunities aligned to future strategy, that budgeting requirements are sufficient and complete, and that requisite analytics/technologies to support VSE models are in place
- Recruitment, Development & Talent Retention: Successfully attracts top talent internally and externally to fill crucial roles highly competitive areas, secures placement of a well-balanced team of diverse skills capable of meeting/exceeding VSE objectives, drives continuous development of all VSE staff in alignment with long-term VSE vision, and leads creation of a strong succession plan to ensure VSE capabilities remain engrained in AZ culture broadly
Key senior leaders and other internal stakeholders for this leader to regularly engage will be:
- VP (and leadership team (LT) members) within Corporate & Government Affairs (e.g., FGAP): legislative/policy and payer market shaping
- Commercial TA VPs across the portfolio (and LTs): brand access strategy alignment, financial risk mitigation related to VSE models, launch planning related to VSE models
- Legal & Compliance leadership: corporate policies and standards for VSE development and implementation, including RWD analytics, payer evidence planning, and field execution
- U.S. Medical Affairs TA VPs and HEOR leaders: alignment of VSE models to core medical team (CMT) plans, synthesis and planning for major data releases, field resources and assets supporting VSE, strong involvement with payer evidence generation
- U.S. Market Access LT colleagues (e.g., National/Regional/Channel/IDN payer teams, Contracting Strategy and Pricing Strategy): seamless alignment to current contracting and pricing standards/policies (“playbooks”), joint planning/long-term strategy development and market readiness for VSE, understanding payer needs directly for VSE execution
- Global Medical Evidence & Observational Research (MEOR) and Global VSE leadership: enable cross-pollination of VSE models/best practices, seamless interoperability/working relationships with statistics and RWD analytics capabilities
Key Demonstrated Abilities and Performance Indicators:
- Sustained senior-level leadership in a complex and ever-changing corporate matrix of key internal stakeholders, managing and exceeding executive-level expectations from numerous perspectives – strong analytical skills and ability to accurately forecast stakeholder needs
- Executive presence and the ability to motivate and gain followership from colleagues across numerous medical/scientific and business disciplines – must be viewed as both a subject matter expert in VSE (e.g., must have prior experience directly developing multiple components of VSE models), and be respected as a competent business/commercial leader
- Instills a strong entrepreneurial attitude for self and teams, who thrives on new challenges and seeks opportunities for positive market disruption in the payer arena
- High-level of business acumen and scientific understanding, with the ability and desire to understand the details as well as establish long-term strategy for VSE deployment
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively with executive leadership across multiple disciplines, as well as peers and direct reports – must be able to easily pivot laterally and vertically across disciplines (e.g., finance, HEOR, access strategy) as well as organizational layers (e.g., Directors to Senior Executives)
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• Graduate degree in a scientific and/or business area
• Minimum of 13 years of pharmaceutical industry experience required with demonstrated leadership capabilities in payer-facing VSE development and execution, and related areas (e.g., access strategy, corporate/government affairs, contracting, pricing and/or HEOR/RWE)• Prior management of teams in scientific and/or business areas, having a proven ability to drive evidence-based solutions in a complex, rapidly-changing environment• Track record of expertise in broad-based evidence planning and generation (e.g., authorship of peer-reviewed, payer-focused RWE manuscripts/abstracts which can be utilized for VSE purposes)• Deep understanding of U.S. payers, and direct experience with leadership of, a diverse set of key segments of the U.S. healthcare reimbursement landscape• Demonstrated ability to lead teams and complex projects across disciplines within Contracting and/or Pricing Strategy, and Brand Access Strategy
• Excellent oral and written communication skills• Ability to travel (domestic U.S. travel approx. 30-40% annually)
An earned doctorate in a field related to VSE is strongly desired (PhD/DrPH in HEOR/Biostatistics/Epidemiology/Health Services Research. Combination of formal training in relevant scientific and business areas is ideal.
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Commercial Non-Sales Sign up for job alerts
If you would like to sign up for email job alerts for future roles with AstraZeneca or MedImmune you can do so using the form below. We will only use the details you provide below to inform you about future vacancies that match your search criteria if and when they become available. The details you provide on this page will not be used to send unsolicited communication and will not be sold to a third party.