The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at the University of Arizona is accepting applications for a tenure track position in Latin American Cultural Studies to begin in August 2019. Candidates with interdisciplinary teaching and research interests in areas such as the Caribbean, Central America, hemispheric, and/or Latino studies are strongly encouraged to apply. Candidates with experience or interest in teaching and research in Digital Humanities in addition to the areas listed above are also of interest.
Spanish and Portuguese offers undergraduate majors in both languages with coursework in literature, linguistics, translation and interpretation; MA tracks in Hispanic Literature, Hispanic Linguistics, and the Teaching of Spanish; and PhD tracks in Hispanic Literature, Hispanic Linguistics, Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian Literature, and Border Studies. The department boasts one of the largest Portuguese language programs in the nation, one of the most comprehensive Heritage Learner programs in the nation, an innovative suite of online courses, and ongoing study abroad programs in Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, and Spain.
The Department of Spanish & Portuguese strongly supports the University of Arizona’s diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiatives, which are designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The successful candidate is expected to support diversity and inclusiveness efforts in the Department, the College of Humanities and the University.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain an active research and publication agenda.
- Teach courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels based on program needs and contribute to mentoring students including those from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Work with colleagues inside the Department to develop courses in Latin America and Cultural Studies and outside the Department to strengthen these areas across campus.
- Candidates should also be willing to develop and teach courses in the University’s General Education curriculum.
- Participate in Outreach and contribute to Departmental, College and University service.
- Help to develop innovative approaches to enhancing student engagement, increasing diversity, and expanding collaborations with community and business partners.
- Participate in Departmental and College-wide activities such as Commencement and Homecoming
- Actively recruit and mentor Spanish & Portuguese majors and minors.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Outstanding research skills;
- Diverse and demonstrated pedagogical knowledge and experience;
- Superior communication and collaboration skills;
- Ph.D. in Spanish or a related field in hand by August 1, 2019
- Evidence of teaching excellence at the undergraduate level and should demonstrate scholarly achievement or significant potential.
- Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish is required.
- Demonstrated interest and excellence in online/hybrid teaching and digital humanities.
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and/or curricular design to effectively engage a diverse student body.
- Experience in curriculum development and program building
Faculty / asst. prof. / lecturer
The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721
Tucson , United States